With exhibitions and a varied art education program on classical modernism and contemporary art, the Georg Kolbe Museum promotes a lively dialogue that links historical issues with the present. The museum is located in the landmarked artists‘ house of the sculptor Georg Kolbe (1877-1947) – a Bauhaus-influenced ensemble from 1928 with an interior garden. Founded in 1950 as a foundation for the development, preservation and mediation of Kolbe’s artistic legacy, the museum has evolved into a fertile place of exchange and research. It houses an important collection of modernist sculpture from the era and environment of Georg Kolbe. Research on women sculptors of that time has become a special field of focus.